The word ‘virtualization’ takes one to the creation of a virtual version of a certain device, say server or network or an operating system. When it comes to businesses, cloud computing and virtualization constitutes basic technologies, without which a number of tasks would not have been rendered possible. Reality said, the core of cloud computing rests on virtualization, where the latter breaks down several tasks for free. For example, a number of virtual machines can actually be run on a single physical computer, which truly is a cost effective measure.
Conventional vs. Virtualized setups
Virtualization has led to the creation of few virtualized modes, enlisted as under:
- Segregating physical server: The virtual machines in such an environment find their place in a physical server that has others’ machines too. This is an effective move for ensuring security, especially if one chooses to isolate one’s own.
- Segregating data storage: Every virtual machine provides a facility for the storage of data that stays inside the external centralized data storage server.
- Segregation of network: If one network is used to keep all the virtual machines, which can pose a threat to security issues. So companies keep striving for enhanced protection.
Differences between cloud computing and virtualization
While virtualization implies the software governing the hardware, the cloud is essentially the service that is an outcome of the former. Today, the element of virtual environment delivers substantial value to the cloud, which results in a number of computing data or software. This is not to say that both the concepts are interchangeable, but both function in collaboration to offer a plethora of services. In contrast, the cloud is known to see to scalability, self-service, automated management and the like, all of which are absent in virtualization.
Knowing if businesses require cloud solutions
There is no doubt that virtualization is vital to the functioning of some organizations; cloud solutions, however have other benefits that offer businesses a different edge altogether. In much the same way, some businesses feel virtualized environments can only lead them to the creation of the cloud. Which is a better solution for the kind of businesses can best be determined if an organization’s basic needs, requirements are analyzed in-depth. Factors like capital expenditures, the total cost of expenditures, operational expenditures, business management processes, security needs, feature development are all vital to being considered prior to businesses taking one route or the other.
Having said that, it will be worthwhile mentioning that both have their own benefits and are not exactly competing approaches. So adopting one doesn’t mean there is no possibility of changing.
Latest posts by Bel Networks News (see all)
- What is the Best Way for Small Businesses to Manage IT? - September 25, 2017
- The Right Way to Avoid Website Crash from Too Much Traffic - August 27, 2017
- Active Threat of Ransomware: Signs That Indicate You are at Risk - August 2, 2017